YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday 29 January 2018

Recurring sickness

What a surprise, sprog three is sick...again. It has easily been at least once a month since I arrived and shows no signs of stopping. This time, she spent upwards of four days coughing and sneezing (and being sick a few times), clearly doing her best to try and infect us all. Thus far, her parents are the only ones who have fallen victim. I am determined to remain as healthy as possible, touch wood. 
With Marilie being quarantined, I had to remain at home for the entirety of her flu journey. My only escapes were my two French lessons and a couple of trips to Carrefour...how desperately sad! I even missed Krisztina’s birthday on Tuesday, so you can imagine how unimpressed I was with that!
One morning I did have to take Kev to the bus ridiculously early. I mean, the sky looked like this so you can only imagine how dead I was. 
Essentially, I had no freedom until the weekend. Of course, that’s when I got ill. It always seems to be just as you start to relax, that sickness hits you. It was just my my luck that Friday night was Demi and Mario’s goodbye party. Typical! I’m glad to say that they still got their present, although I was gutted to not go. I’m sure we’ll meet again at some point, but who knows whereabouts in the world it will be?
I felt so awful about missing Kriszti’s birthday that I did my best to make it up to her on Saturday. I had been planning a surprise for a while, long before I got sick. Pretty much since that first time I met her she was going on about how much she wanted to go to Montreux. Unfortunately, we missed the *allegedly beautiful* Christmas market in December because the weather was so diabolical. I checked the forecast every day in the lead up to Saturday, to ensure that we at least had a dry day that wasn’t too cold. In actual fact, we were pretty lucky with the weather. Although cloudy, it was pretty decent. We walked around a lot, so it was a good job it wasn’t too hot! 

It was meant to be a group of her closest friends, but ended up just being three of us, Krisztina, Jason and me. Maybe it was better that way. I thoroughly enjoyed the day, even though I’d had virtually no sleep the night before and the sniffles were getting me hard. We managed to see a decent amount, even though we went a little late. It’s most definitely somewhere I’ll go back to when the weather is better, because the view of the mountains must be stunning. Fingers crossed the others (particularly Krisztina) loved it as much as I did!

That night, I tried to get as much sleep as I possibly could, to recharge my batteries. I had a VERY lazy Sunday morning, which involved rolling out of bed at something like 10, having a shower, eating a leisurely breakfast and going on a walk to phone my mum and meet Krisztina...again. I’m sure that she thought I had been kidnapped on the way because I took so long. We spent ages trying to decide what to do and what to eat. Most places here either don’t open on a Sunday, are super expensive or close early, so we were pressed for time. Eventually, we chose to grab a warm quiche lorraine from our favourite cafĂ©. It’s the only food that has remotely resembled anything I eat at home. I have to say, it was delicious and much needed! There’s nothing better than feeling warm food in your hands on a cold day! 
My Sunday tutoring is at an awkward time now. I went to see David, who was in an odd mood. He licked me at least twice and the session didn’t feel very productive at all. I had to basically tell his parents that his English is getting worse now that he’s in the French school, not great. They’ve upped my session to two hours, which will hopefully help. The only downside to that is that it means I get even less time to enjoy my Sunday. Never mind, just think of the money…
On Monday morning, I got the best news ever. After thinking that I couldn’t go home between now and July, the host Mum said that I can have 29th March until 3rd April off. Whoop whoop! Immediately after she told me I’d booked both my flights, you don’t have to tell me twice. I could not be more thrilled. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment