YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday 9 October 2017

Onwards and upwards

I'm back again, still reeling the torture of last week. Slowly but surely, I'm adapting to everyday life without Paula and Meta. It's strange to see pictures of them at home with their family and friends. I'm still half expecting Paula to walk back into my French class. I can't wait to see them both again.

The day after we said goodbye to Meta, a few of us went for a barbecue by the lake. Hana has opened my eyes to coke and red wine. Honestly, if you don't particularly enjoy alcohol, give it a bash. The more time I spend with these people, the crazier it feels to imagine life without them. I keep trying to plan what I'm doing after this year is over, but I haven't got a clue. I desperately want to keep travelling, but in what format? If I do carry on being an au pair, I think I'd go somewhere for less time. (I've yet to find a rich French man that can fund fancy trips…





I got absolutely thrashed at snakes and ladders. Kevin has good luck like nobody else I've ever met. The shame I feel being consistently beaten by a ten year old is immense. I am determined to find a game that I can win! 

On Saturday afternoon, we went to the UN open day in Geneva. It was thought provoking in every sense of the phrase. I don't feel like the majority of people here care too much about those who who are less fortunate than them. It was somewhat ironic to see all of the rich tourists wandering around talking about poverty, pollution and inequality, when they are totally unaware of the sheer magnitude of the situation. 
Afterwards, we headed to Lac Léman armed with bags of food. I appreciated just sitting and chatting with friends. I feel like sometimes I take them for granted and I don't truly bask in their company, but Saturday I really did. Somehow, I've ended up planning to go to Slovenia for Christmas. Madness. I'm super excited, though, and I'm adamant that I'm going to seize every single opportunity I get!













I have been upgraded to best friend. No longer am I labelled a mere au pair, oh no. I even have the friendship bracelet, keyring and cat card to prove it! I have also begun to notice when Marilie dresses like me. The first time was super cute, but it's becoming a regular thing. I seem to have gained a mini me...




Sunday = market day. Therefore, it's known as the day I well and truly fall off the dietary wagon. I had the usual: taco then churros. Hana and I were a little bummed that the crêpe man wasn't there, that's usually our breakfast. We soon replaced him with the macaroon guy, whose macaroons did things to us that I can't describe. Unashamedly, we destroyed five and a half each in under five minutes. 
What can I say? We appreciate good food!
In the afternoon, we rolled on over to Nyon for a bit of exploring before we lose yet another friend. I'd be interested to see whether there's an unattractive part of this country, because I haven't seen it yet. Some of the views are incredible and I have to pinch myself daily to make sure this isn't a dream. If it is, I don't want to wake up any time soon. 





No comments:

Post a Comment